The landing below the ramp leading from the back door is a PITA. It was constantly muddy (from the constant rains we've had), very low from the edge of the ramp, and hard to mow or snow shovel. Additionally, there were two "moats" from the rain running off the roof (remember, my roof has runoff from all 4 sides), so there was a line parallel to the edge of the ramp, and another parallel to the ramp railing. Hopefully I have fixed those issues.
The before pictures - I had to take two because Rita was just way cute turning to look at me like "what are you staring at?" Unfortunately I did not think to take a picture of the difference in height from the edge of the ramp to the ground. You can see one of the "moats", where dirt has washed away from rock that is perpendicular to the fence, about where the green stake is. The other "moat" can be seen (barely because the weeds are lush there) if you follow the drip line from beside the ramp railing out into the yard.
After I dug out that area, I added sand, then set the pavers so they sloped away from the house and the ramp. It does give a bit of an odd appearance with the left hand paver jutting just above the corner of the ramp (it looks worse in the picture than it is - maybe 1/8").. That is mainly due to needing to raise the level of the paver at the right hand railing side while keeping a slope. Admittedly, smaller pavers would have served me better here as I could have fine tuned it more than the 16 x 16 pavers allowed.
Looking at the close up picture, I immediately noticed that the right hand paver nearest the ramp is the wrong orientation - grrr. Too late since the setting medium had already set up.Wish it had been the middle paver because then I could have said it was an artistic expression :) .
Later I may extend it all the way to the fence, but the summer has been so rainy, hot and humid, that getting anything done outside is a challenge - and I have other things to do to get ready for the inevitable change of weather to come.