Last weekend I made a hearth pad for the basement stove to sit on. I used piece of a shipping container, that I had salvaged from work for the base of the pad. I don't know why I had grabbed that piece last year, I had no plan for it, but it came in handy so I didn't have to build the base from scratch. Since I was using materials on hand, it has odd dimensions so the tiling came out a bit funky, but it will work just fine and I now have some experience for next time I want to tackle tile.
First step was to place backer board on the form and screw it in place. You can also see the edging for the tile as I was fitting it up.
Here the tile has been grouted and it looks a ton better. You can still see imperfections but they aren't so in-your-face. Not only was this the first time I have ever tiled, but I had to cut tiles too. Sometimes it worked great, other times, not so much.
This shows the metal egding (top layer), and I used J-channel to encase the edges of the backer board (white)
I didn't feel the need to formally edgen the entire form as the wood you can see below the white is actually inset from the edge about 1" so you can only see it if you are on your hands and knees.
Before I started tiling, I had a moment of brilliance and put large felt pads (made for teh bottom of furniture) so it would be fairly easy to move around. Best forward thinking I've done in a while!
Wednesday the grout had dried long enough, and I had some ambition when I got home from work, so I decided to see if I could move the stove by myself. I did have a backup plan, calling the guy that helped me move the P43 a couple of years ago, but I really thought I could do it myself. It was more a matter if I could keep from damaging the floor, the stove or myself :D. BUT, you will have to wait for that story.