« New Look for the driveway | Main | What is up Must Come Down »

June 17, 2017

Beautification Project

After seeing the results of the work I had done last week, I decided that the parking area needed to be more separate from the yard behind it.Yesterday I took a vacation day and put in landscape timbers to add definition and separation. Additionally, it will help keep the bare soil from running into the hard pack of the parking area. I bless the neighbor who gave me some timbers last year as I had enough to get the 3 rows of timbers put in without having to go get more. I also had rebar left from putting in the garden at the front of the house, but naturally was two shy of what I needed.

It started raining just after putting in the last timber so I took the opportunity to go to H*me Dep*t and got 25 sections of sod and as well as rebar (who knew that no local places that sell landscape timbers actually carry in stock the means to anchor said timbers securely?). I laid the sod when I got home, in the pouring rain. Yes I was very wet and muddy when I got done :D.

Lasndscape timbers and sod-closer
Lasndscape timbers and sod-closer

Today I got a late start as the cloudy, cool day just wasn't conducive to my being ambitious. Eventually I put down the book I was reading and went to Agway to grab a few plants then went out to play in the dirt.

Long shot:

First row of plants

L-R; Leucanthumum Snow Cap aka Shasta Daisy (also in next picture), false indigo, 2 hostas (the one in front is so far homeless), and creeping phlox in the background. Unseen behind the phlox are a couple of iris that I still had from a batch that Cop Car had sent a couple of years ago. The phlox has been in an overwintering bed for at least 2 years.


First row of plants

L-R; Hosta, two Veronicas, False Indigo, Leucanthumum. Way in the back are, so far unplanted, day lilies that have also been in an overwintering bed for a couple of years.


First row of plants

I also took extra soil and cut in around the pieces of sod, so now it looks like a patchwork quilt. But the edges should hold moisture to help it fill in between the sections.


First row of plants

If it wasn't threatening rain all weekend, and into Tuesday, I would have been moving pellets into the basement and garage. But I am happy with the progress of the yard, so am not complaining.

PS - Hey Cop Car if you still have irises that need a new home, I have room now :)

Posted by Bogie on June 17, 2017 at 08:44 PM in Yard Work | Permalink

Comments

very nice!

Posted by: Ruth at Jun 18, 2017 9:44:00 AM

Beautiful work, Bogie. Love it! As to irises, I am slowly digging a bunch of them up; so, I'll try to send you some. How many? Are you picky on colors? I've given away some to neighbors, but I'll have another 200 plants (more or less) to get rid of. I can't guarantee colors, but I can try.

Posted by: Cop Car at Jun 18, 2017 1:41:17 PM

Not picky on color at all. I could take about 50 of them off your hands. I promise to give them a good home :)

Posted by: bogie at Jun 18, 2017 4:36:07 PM

I'll see what I can do. My stamina isn't what it once was, so may split into two mailings. Will give you a heads up when I ship anything.

Posted by: Cop Car at Jun 20, 2017 5:45:46 PM

P.S. Seeing how you've treated other plants, there's no doubt in my mind about our irises being given a good home in NH!

Posted by: Cop Car at Jun 20, 2017 5:46:41 PM

Do what you can, when you can. I've got the spots saved so if you send small batches that will work out for me.

Posted by: bogie at Jun 24, 2017 6:48:35 PM

Post a comment